Search This Blog

Friday, August 13, 2010

What's in a name?

Oh my goodness, believe me... there is lots in a name!
So we will start with "Pink"  Who would have thought that Pink meant "One who was a chirpy person, like a finch"  http://www.meaning-of-names.com/  That in it's self struck me right off.  Grandma loved to talk, she would talk to anyone about... anything.  In the grocery store to the young one who tallied the produce, the banker and the fellow sweeping the street.  It didn't matter; she would even talk to herself...YES.. out loud.  I hate to admitt it...but I do too.  My daughter told me it is a sign of being intelligent....I'm going to hold onto that thought!!!
Okay, "Violet"  I don't know it comes from the Vivian family or something like that...to me it was the flower that is almost impossible for me to grow. I was my grandmother's favorite flower and she could grow them. I cannot however.  House plants, cactus maybe!!
So I looked it up too and guess what, can you imagine "Violet" the heroiness in Shakespear's play "Twelfth Night".
A heroiness,...how ironic...I simply have to tell you this.
Grandma was my heroiness is so many ways and so many times she rescued me from my fears in particular.  But, this one night was the one that stands out the most.
I was about, 10 maybe 12 years of age, I had with me my sister who would have been 7 maybe and by brother 3. 
Now remember, it was in the late 60's early 70's and things were done differently back then, and this is not a reflection of my folk's ability to parent, okay!  It was just the way things were done, I don't know it is kinda weird actually, because my folks never would have experienced these things and yet most of us in this era have had this type of experience.
Here we are, it was late November, a very windy, stormy night, with ice pellets pinging off of the windows.  My fol, were in the process of building their first new home and they were trying to get it "live in ready" oh not completed... just live in ready by Christmas.
I was in charge, well I was supposed to be... the storm was howling and well... to put it plain, my imagination ran away on me.  My sister and brother were in bed and I was to stay up until my parents got home.  We lived in the "boon docks" seriously a neighbour was a couple miles away.  The old run down place was heavily treed. 
Do you know how scarey the trees are when the wind in blowing and the ice is hanging off them while they bank on the house?  Not to mention the pinging of ice against the windows.  I was completely petrified, I was pacing from window to window, looking out and practically scaring myself into shock when I would see my own ( oh yeah... my own) reflection.  By midnight I was completely hysterical.   Between the trees, the wind, and ice, the wolves.....  by then, had me surrounded the house and were prepared to scratch the walls down to get us
I was hysterical with fear, and totally un-consoleable.  Now, you have to remember in those days we had no cell phones, there was no such thing.  Are you kidding, we were lucky to even have a phone.  Really were were way back in the sticks. 
To me, what would I do?  Call Grandma, so I did at midnight.  I cannot imagine how she felt at that moment, when she picked up her phone and heard me on the other end.  It is only now at this moment I (as tears swell up) she took my fear and carried it for me, all she said was..."Lock the doors, I'm right there"!  Time stood still after that, she arrived, well you would have to know her, she gathered all of us of and took us to her house. 
She was so angry at my mother, By the time she was finished scoulding her, we had snow banks growing on our backs as we slept.  We never spent another night in that house.

Well... we all have to have a hero..and Grandma was mine!

Yeah! As you can see.. there is something in a name!
Her middle name, Mae.  The Goddess of Spring.  I'm going to have to think a bit on this one.  I did not know her when she was the " Godess of Spring" however, that doesn't mean to say she wasn't.

1 comment:

  1. Amazing idea, amazing story love this and look forward to reading more and more :)

    ReplyDelete